Frequently asked questions

Where are Elder Cottages available?

Elder Cottages are currently available throughout Eastern Washington and will soon be available in Western Washington, Idaho and Oregon. Current cities and counties include: Spokane, Stevens County, Chewelah, Columbia County, Dayton, Whitman County, Colfax, Chelan County, Chelan, Stevens County, Colville, Okanogan County, Omak, Okanogan, Asotin County, Clarkston, Grant County, Ephrata, Benton County, Prosser, Walla Walla County, College Place, Spokane County, Deer Park, Chelan County, Wenatchee, Walla Walla , Spokane Valley, Richland, Yakima County ,Yakima, Benton City, Douglas County, East Wenatchee, Grant County, Moses Lake, Cashmere, Union Gap, Kennewick, Liberty Lake, West Richland, Selah, Sunnyside ,Kittitas County, Ellensburg, Toppenish, Franklin County, Pasco, Bridgeport, Adams County, Othello, Grandview, Zillah, Brewster, Wapato, Medical Lake, Moxee, Cheney, Airway Heights, Franklin County, Connell, Warden, Pullman, Quincy, Granger, Mattawa.

What if I don’t want to take on this level of responsibility all by myself?

Thankfully you are not alone. We can handle the entire process for you. From permitting to installation of the home and the completion of all utility connections, we are committed to this being a pleasant and rewarding experience for everyone involved. Once the cottage is completed, you can also take advantage of the multitude of reputable home care providers that can help with: Bathing and Personal Care, Transportation, Medication Assistance, Meal Preparation/Planning, Light Housekeeping, Pet Walking and Care, Assistance with Exercise Programs, Companionship, Shopping,  Errands and  Respite Care . You are not alone.

Do you provide any type of safety monitoring systems?

Yes. Medical Alert Systems are available. They enable and elder to call for help wherever they are, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Studies have shown that more than one third of adults 65 and older fall each year in the United States and that falls are the leading cause of injury deaths in older adults. Medical Alert Systems provide the additional help needed, when it’s needed.

How do I know if this type of dwelling is allowed where I live?

Thankfully here in the Northwest, most cities and counties have adopted zoning regulations that allow Accessory Dwelling Units (ADU’s) to be placed in the rear or side yard of an existing homes. Allowances, permit fees and requirements vary by location. Give us a call today and we can help you determine if an Elder Cottage is allowed where you live.

How long does it take?

From the time that you place your order, your cottage could be available in as little as 8 weeks, depending upon a number of variables related to your site and the cottage design.

What if I need a different floor plan than what you offer?

Our design team can provide a custom floor plan to meet your specific needs, subject to design fees and other criteria.

Are these homes accessible for my wheelchair bound mother?

Each of our homes is designed with accessibility in mind, from 36” wide openings and ADA showers to brighter lighting and accessible appliances. Additional mobility enhancing features are available, such as a  vertical platform lift that can be fitted to the front porch for those unable to manage steps or a ramp.

What if there isn’t sufficient access to my site due to close neighbors or power lines?

A representative will be happy to provide you with a free site assessment to determine your options. We may be able to temporarily take down physical barriers or utilize a crane to place the cottage into your yard.